Friday, June 10, 2011

The News Blues

What is up with the news? Is there a moratorium among journalists that they must only talk about negative things? On my way to work, I usually share a cab with my sister and brother-in-law. And almost 90% of the time, the radio is tuned on to Ted Failon and Noli de Castro's AM station. And 99.9% of the time, they broadcast ugly bits of news. Take this morning, the headlines were: a family massacred in Lapu-lapu Cebu, a couple stabbed to death by their bedspacer that couldn't pay rent anymore, traffic accidents, corrupt politicians and so on and so forth. And for their "entertainment" news, yesterday they talked about how Sarah Geronimo's sister forgot her passport, so their trip to Amsterdam was postponed. What in holy hell is the world coming to? I even remember a news article ages ago, I think I was over-the-shoulder reading somebody's tabloid, about Aiza Seguerra getting her period for the first time. I mean, seriously? That's news? What's sad is, I remember it to this day. So maybe they do this on purpose. Useless news gets good publicity and wide readership. So is it our fault? We all probably have something to do with it, it's a supply and demand kind of thing.

I'm pretty sure all these stressful news items contribute to free radical production in our bodies, which leads to premature aging and inevitably causes premature dying and the wiping out of our species. So logic will dictate that to delay the obliteration of the human race, the media should broadcast stories that uplift the spirit, not fricking pound it, slam it and smash it to bits. 

Show of hands, who wants more good news to be aired on TV and radio?

No comments:

Post a Comment