Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rescuer or Rescuee?


Today marks another landmark in my life. I am scheduled to pick up a dog at the city shelter. It was almost instantaneous love (a.k.a. love at first sight) when I saw him look at me with one half-asleep eye in his door-less shaded “house” in his doggy run which he shares with a smallish brown mutt. To my delight and surprise he got up and walked towards me ready to put on an “adopt me now” show for my benefit. And best of all, he was a Welsh Corgi! One of my favorite dog breeds ever.
He groggily walked towards me and tried to push his snout through the bars. I obligingly proceeded to pet him and rub his nose while the other dog was busy trying to push him out of the way so he could hog all the petting and stroking to himself. The brown dog even growled at the Corgi cutie-pie at one point. I didn’t even notice that I was calling him Ernie after a few minutes of mutual introduction. I was surprised to realize that this wasn’t his name. He just looked like an Ernie to me. So after a relatively short discussion with myself, I decided to put my name on the Interested Party list. I was told to come back in 3 days, the day when he will be available for adoption.  But I was informed that there might have to be a bidding for him since there were several people on the Interested list.
I came back 3 days after,and somehow I managed to outbid my competition. Comprised of a not-so-friendly mother-daughter team. We had to bid twice since we were tied on the first round. In the second round I outbid them by a mere 2 dollars! I was so tense since it was my first time to participate in an auction. I kept talking to the lady handling the auction (who was thankfully good-natured). Our conversation also included an apology from me for being such a geek and being all super excited and hyper-nervous.
So today I get to take Ernie home. My canine shorty. My lowrider. I’m anxious/happy/thrilled. Dog parks, socialization classes and talking to strangers with dogs on the street during walks are in our future. Although I know that I rescued him initially, I am willing to bet a month’s worth of coffee-drinking that there will be many days to come where he will be returning the favor.
(written in 2007)
Here he is snoozing in my room. Needless to say, it didn't take him long to adjust! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment